Type of degree
이 테이블은 학위종류를 나타냅니다.
- Master of Science (Electrical&Computer, Materials, Mechanical, Environment, Biomedical)
- Master of Science (Life, Physics and Chemistry , Biomedical)
- Doctor of Philosophy(Electrical&Computer, Materials, Mechanical, Environment, Biomedical)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Life, Physics and Chemistry, Biomedical)
Conferment of degree
Through planning of the Academic Committee, a degree is conferred to those who have earned the required credits with a GPA of 3.0/4.5 or higher, have passed tests in their field of study and foreign language credits, and have submitted a thesis and passed their oral thesis test.
- Foreign language test criteria for doctoral program
- Students must have one of the following English scores: IBT 80, TOEIC 750, TEPS 600.
- Students must submit these scores before the deadline at the end of April before thesis submission for August graduation, or at the end of October before thesis submission for February graduation.
- Students must complete their foreign language courses. (Korean language courses are required for international students.)
- Field of study test : conducted by each discipline
- It is conducted by each discipline to evaluate a student’s overall research capability in his or her completed field of study. Grade is marked either pass or fail.
- Such tests are available for those who have earned at least 12 subject credits from a master's program and 32 subject credits from a doctoral program.
- Oral Thesis Exams can be conducted in parallel with thesis deliberation for a pass or fail score. If a student wishes to modify what was written in a thesis proposal that was passed, he or she must obtain approval by submitting a form.
Thesis proposal submission
Student must submit a thesis proposal within specified period.
이 테이블은 학위논문계획 제출과정과 기한을 나타냅니다.
||Within 1 year from admission
||Within 2 years from admission
||Within 4 years from admission
If student wishes to modify what was written in an accepted/passed thesis proposal, he or she must obtain approval by submitting a form.
Preparation and submission of thesis
- Those who submitted a thesis proposal and obtained approval, passed tests, and earned (or are able to earn) the required credits are eligible for thesis submission.
- When submitting a thesis, approval documents from the advising professor and department chair must be submitted as well.
- Deadline for thesis (for deliberation)
- Master: end of May or November
- Doctoral: end of April or October
- A thesis, must be written in English for deliberation, and there is no limit in length.
- A thesis must be submitted on A4-sized pages.
- A thesis abstract must be written in English, and be approximately 1000 words. An approximately 2000 word Korean version of the abstract version must be attached.
- Master’s program candidates must give 3 copies and doctoral candidates must give 5 copies of their thesis to the designated thesis deliberation committee.
- After evaluating the thesis, the heads of the thesis deliberation committee must submit a report to the Academic Affairs Department.
- Master: end of June for August graduation, or end of December for February graduation
- Doctoral: end of May for August graduation, or end of November for February graduation
- If thesis passes the deliberation, properly printed copies must be made. Four copies for a master`s program and four copies for a doctoral program along with a thesis disclosure agreement form must be submitted to the library and registered on the library homepage as an electronic document within the specified period below
- Master deadline: July 10th for August graduation, or January 10th for February graduation
- Doctoral deadline: June 15th for August graduation, or December 15th for February graduation
Possible term of thesis submission
- A thesis for degree acquisition is not accepted after 6 semesters from admission to master's program, after 14 semesters from admission to doctoral program and after 16 semesters from admission to Consolidated(Master's&Doctoral) program.
If the term of school attendance is extended, so can the thesis submission be extended.
Degree thesis deliberation committee
- A master's degree deliberation committee is composed of three GIST professors or researchers who are equally qualified, and whose area of study is closely related to the area of the submitted thesis. Two of them must be full time professors.
- A doctoral degree deliberation committee is composed of GIST professors whose area of study is closely related to area of the submitted thesis.
- A field of study test is conducted by each discipline.
- It is a recommendation that a deliberation committee should include one international specialist. If that is not possible, a statement of reasons must be submitted.
The international specialist is also treated as a formal committee member.
- Oral thesis exams can be conducted in parallel with thesis deliberation. (The possible scores for the exam are pass or fail.
- Every graduate student should complete the course ‘Science, Technology and Economy’.